Saturday, June 4, 2011

poor mans rotor puller

I was searching the almighty inter web machine looking for ways to get this damned stator rotor off of my wife's bike. I came across a thread on an XS650 forum , and I decided to try it, if it worked cool, if not I was only out like 5 dollars. I was a bit skeptical at first, but to my surprise it worked. This is definitely a good method if you cannot find the puller or if your wife ordered one from Ebay, and it came, but was the wrong tool. Below are pictures of the items needed, as well as step by step instructions.


Okay so here is what you need: 1 2x4 around 2ft long. 1 ratcheting tie down strap. (not Shown) 1 coupling nut and, bolt. You will also need something to protect the threads of the crankshaft. I used the bottom of a cat food can.


1st you wrap the Tie down strap around the back of the rotor. Try to get it wrapped as tight as possible because, if you don't it will be a pain to get it right once you have set your puller up.


set the 2x4 up with the coupling nut, and bolt between it, and the crankshaft. You will need to have a 2x4 that is at least 2ft for leverage. It needs to be able to reach the floor.


Once you've set it up your puller you want to turn the coupling nut so that it spreads apart thus, putting pressure on the crankshaft, and pulling the back of the rotor at the same time. It should just pull off in theory, however if it has been on there for a while you may have to smack it a couple times with a hammer. This will most likely ruin the rotor, but chances are that if you are going through all the trouble to remove the rotor you will be replacing it with a new one.

Not that any of you will have to employ this method, but when I tried it out, and saw how easily it worked, I thought that It would be interesting to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment