Wednesday, June 22, 2011

.............Just my luck.

I have been waiting for years to ride to North Carolina for The Smokeout. Finally this time around the planets aligned, and everything just fell into place. Things were going well, and it seemed like we were going to finally be able to make the ride. My 4 day weekend fell at just the right time so I did not have to ask for days off. I had Starter problems on my 84 FXR, but I fixed them. As far as I could tell my turd would be polished up and ready to ride, or so I thought. Upon doing a routine service I noticed larger than normal amounts of metal in the 2oz of fluid that came out of my transmission. I flushed it out and filled it back up to investigate. no more than 5 minutes later nearly all the trans fluid was back on the floor, so I decided to take a closer look, I figured the main seal was the culprit but I was not completely prepared for what I would find.
Basically what I found was that my main drive gear bearing fell apart and took out the main seal causing a total loss lubrication system.
Luckily,the chunks of metal that were floating in the bottom of my transmission case did no damage to my gears, and all I need to do is replace my main bearing. Unfortunately I will not be able to ride it to the Smokeout.
This is what I will be rolling to the Smokeout this year!

1 comment:

  1. Piss. What a downer. Live through the photos all over the internet.


    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
    http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

    ReplyDelete